Monday, May 27, 2013

By George

I dreamed I saw George Takei last night.

Actually it was the night before last, but that line has a nice ring to it, resonant of the song about Joe Hill. In the dream, my wife and I were sitting near the front of a large square-shaped restaurant - Chinese, I think it was.  I looked around the restaurant, and George was seated at a table in the back corner.  He saw me and waved to me.

In real life, I don't know George personally, but I have been a Star Trek fan for decades.  Not a Trekkie - I don't attend conventions dressed up as a Ferengi, converse in Klingon, or collect scale models of the starship Enterprise - just someone who has seen and enjoyed most episodes of The Original Series, The Next Generation, and Enterprise - and would probably also enjoy Voyager and Deep Space Nine if Hong Kong's useless TV stations could be bothered to find room for them among the rubbish they usually churn out.

As is generally known, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry insisted on a multiracial cast at a time when US TV programmes were wall-to-wall vanilla, figuring that by the 24th century the human race might have grown up.  Much has been made of Nichelle Nichols' position as the first black woman to hold a major role in a major series, but it has been less often noted that, until Takei appeared in The Original Series, few Asian faces made it to prime time TV either.

Anyway, all this is by way of an excuse for passing on the fun picture above, which comes from Takei's Facebook page - generally a witty and entertaining read.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

YTSL said...

George Takei rocks -- and seems to grow better and better as he grows older.

Have you seen the "Star Trek" films with John Cho in the Sulu role? Cho's not as trailblazing but he's not bad either! :)